Saturday, February 23, 2008

Research Topic Thoughts


I had a bit of a hard time picking a topic to write about. I wanted the topic to be something that was somewhat close to my heart, and I decided to write about teen mothers. I am proud to say that I am the mother of my beautiful daughter Sophia Grace who is 10 months old. Some perceptions from the media label teen mothers as having less opprotunities to provide for their children and will less likely to continue with education, and for single mothers maybe not even get married. As someone who is a teen mother, I do not agree with what the media sterotypes about teen mothers. If anyone were to have any suggestions on whether that think this is a good topic or not I would love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

Cristina Devereaux Ramírez, Ph.D said...

I know that this topic is close to your heart, and yes, Brandi, you break the stereotype of teen mothers into a million pieces. But you have to think about what the researchers are seeing by and large as to why teen mothers don't have many opportunities. Think about the support base you have? You have a strong family that can provide for both you and your child. Think about a Mexican girl from Segundo Barrio getting pregnant at 17 whose parents are uneducated and live in the projects? Now remember, what is your topic? It is the foundation, right, not teen age pregnancy.